Subtitle

and some not-so-big words too.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Linguine with Tomato Sauce

Here I practice a possible style of writing for my book for educating children. (Inspired somewhat by the Magic School Bus Series)

There is supposed to be a mixture of fiction (story-element to attract children) with non-fiction (things to learn).

I do exercises slowly so it's only about half done and I didn't actually get to teach the reader anything.

------------------
Today, Kevin and Rachel are learning to cook. They’re starting off with something simple: pasta. You can be sure that this is going to be a fun day!

Kevin walks into the kitchen carrying a large bag of uncooked linguine. He drops it on the countertop with a loud thud and immediately collapses into a nearby seat.

“We don’t actually need that much... The recipe only calls for one pound.” Rachel shakes her head and gives Kevin a pat on the back.

Kevin jumps up and stands proudly next to his 5-pound bag, “I brought extra so that we could make more if we ate it all!”

“Good luck with your five servings! I’ll eat enough for one person, thank you!”

Rachel smiles and takes more ingredients out of her bag. Soon the table is populated by many residents. Tomatoes, garlic, and basil create a forest on one end. On the other, there is a city of salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Kevin stares in awe of the colorful ingredients in front of him. He turns his head and looks at the picture of linguine with tomato sauce printed in vivid colors at the top of the recipe. “How do we take this mess of stuff and turn it into this fancy dish?”

Rachel takes out a pot and a pan and puts them on the stove. “Let’s start by learning about simmering and boiling.”

---

Have you ever watched a pot of water on the stove? If you heat the water on the stove for long enough, bubbles start to form in the water, the water turns into steam and this is known as boiling.


(one makes the sauce and the other cooks the pasta)

3 comments:

  1. I really like this!

    What age are you writing to though? Cause sometimes I think you used words that were a bit big for the story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I like the forest and the city, though I'm not sure I can envision the forest part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, I don't think it helped that it was linguine, that itself isn't a simple concept. I don't even know what the heck it is.

    ReplyDelete